Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Book Review: The Morganville Vampires - Volume 1 by Rachel Caine

Rating: ★★★★★
Release Date: November 3, 2009
Age Group: Young Adult
Format: Paperback
Pages: 480
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Source: Bought
Buy: Barnes and Noble 

The first two novels in the New York Times bestselling Morganville Vampires series together for the first time in a new trade paperback edition. Morganville is a small college town in the heart of Texas-not a place that exactly screams "hotbed of creatures of the night". But college freshman Claire Danvers is about to discover why, in Morganville, you should never, ever stay out after dark... Glass Houses College freshman Claire Danvers moves off campus and into an old house in the small town of Morganville. Her new roommates have her back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood... The Dead Girls' Dance Claire may have a great roommate and a new boyfriend, but when she's invited to the Dead Girls' Dance all hell breaks loose-literally. Because this time, the living and the dead are ready to tear up the night... 

Oh, vampires. It sounds cliche nowadays, doesn't it? Well, this book puts a whole new perspective to vampires. Sure, it has the usual things with them; bloodsucking, burning in sunlight, holy water, crosses, silver, etc. But I thought it was cool how they made a contract with someone that binds them to that vampire forever, or until they say so. They have to abide by their rules, who to marry, when to get married, if you can have children or not. It's pretty intense if you ask moi. I know it's weird when I say it's cool, but it's new. I like new stuff. :3 Especially with vampires...since they're so cliche now. Thanks, Stephenie Meyer.

I really liked the fact that Michael was a...ghost thing...in the beginning. I've had this series on my shelf for a long time now, and I thought he was a vampire this whole time. I was going on what people said about the series and stuff, and that's what I got out of it lol. So that put a cog in my wheel lol. But then it started to turn in the second part of the book. (Meaning the second book since there's two books in one.) Michael was a sweetheart on up in the book. I didn't like him at first, since he was being an asshole to Claire about moving into their mansion that looks like "Gone with the Wind meets The Munsters." :P

And when I say "their mansion," I mean by the trio that lives there. Shane, Eve, and Michael. And I love Shane. The end. He's just...urgh. I love him. xD Eve is an awesome character. She has to be the second character that I've "met" that's a pure Goth, if you will. LOL. I loved her, she was funny. <3 Also, can I say that I will NEVER remotely like Monica...EVER...AT ALL? I don't give a shit if she sprouts wings and turns into an angel and saves everybody at the end of the series. I will forever hate that bitch. :) I was on Eve's side when she said, "Maybe she does deserve a good blowtorching." And Claire's like, "No. Nobody deserves that." And I'm sitting here like: Photobucket

I was about to die towards the end when Shane *spoiler* was about to get burned alive. I about cried myself to death. I really love Shane, I just hope he doesn't piss me off in the books to come in this series.

Okay. I'm done. All-in-all this was a fantastic book. I can't wait to read the next ones! I pretty much recommend this book to anyone who likes vampires. On the cover of the omnibus that I have, it says, "Fans of Twilight will love this." ...Sure, that's true. But this is nothing close to Twilight, just so you know. It's a WHOLE LOT BETTER. :D


View all my reviews
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment