Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Book Review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Rating: ★★★★★
Release Date: May 31, 2011
Age Group: Young Adult
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 496
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Source: Bought
Buy: Barnes and Noble

How do you defy destiny? Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history. As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

You know that feeling you get when all of a sudden you want to go back in time and relive history? Or at least watch it all happen before your eyes? This is the feeling I got when I read this. I really, really loved this book. A lot. It had all kinds of twists and turns concerning Greek Gods and Demigods. I've been waiting on a book like this, to actually have romance and action in it. Even though there wasn't a kiss in it until over half way into the book. Which ticked me off to high heaven. I think that's the only thing I didn't like about it lol.

This isn't like the Percy Jackson and the Olympians deal. It's a whole new level of awesome. And I liked the idea of naming Helen Hamilton after Helen of Troy, or that's the thought that came to my head. (And yes, they mentioned Helen of Troy in this. No worries.)

I also liked the fact that Helen and Lucas could fly. That was definitely a new twist on Demigods in general. There might be some out there who could actually defy gravity, but I haven't heard of any. Or I'm just a dumbass. But it was pretty unique. :)

This is one of those books where you pretty much like all the characters, except a couple. But my favorite character would have to be Hector. I really liked that one scene where Hector absolutely beat the living shit out of Helen, and she just took it.. Don't really know why though, lol. I guess it's because all the books I've read, the guys are always soft (in any way) to the girls. It gets old quick.

All in all, this is a very epic book for a debut author. I so can't wait for the second one, which comes out in May of 2012! :)

I love Greek Mythology. Okay I'm done.

View all my reviews
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment